A scientifc proof we can still afford to have principles

Wednesday, January 7, 2009 ·


Previously in this blog...
money is scarce and fair-trade-organic-eco is expensive,
however, you can still be kind to the planet, and no, I didn't mean loan sharks.

According to some very authoritative research I discovered today, at least British shoppers started buying more fair trade, animal welfare etc. produce as the times grew bleaker. However, the figures come from market research, which has its limitations. Much more interesting would be to take a look how both the "ethical" producers and "ethical" stores (their price tags coming with some "karma bank" investments) perform in terms of turnover and profits. I still maintain that we should maybe rethink our definition of ethical consumption; paying attention to which supermarkets have a horrible workers' rights' record is quite efficient for a start.

Ah, and somehow I discovered a very old article on what meats are OK to eat. Basically you should stay away from most fish unless you can ask the fish where it swam from, and chicken/pork is also dodgy.

Lamb (as I always knew) is quoted as one of the best choices, both in terms of what's good for you and what's good for the little lamb. Somehow reminded me this story I heard as a child (growing up in a virtually lamb-less country) that sheep are very stupid, to the point of not understanding when they're about to be transferred into lamb, ergo it doesn't produce adrenaline at the slaughterhouse - meaning their meat is very healthy.

And the only time I seriously considered becoming a vegetarian was when I saw a sheep herd peacefully nibbling on the grass outside this meat factory in a tiny country that basically had to import all foodstuff but meat. Seeing those critters outside at 9 p.m., seeing an empty turf at 11.p.m. and having a predictable (but delicious) meat dish for lunch kind of made me think of the value of life.

But seriously, how can you give up on this???


And it's cheap too. I got my lamb chops for 6.50 per kilo on Sunday, and frankly could have found as low as 5.80/kg. One kg of lamb with the same amount of onion, carrots and rice and some spices I know you still have in your pantry from your reach times can make up to two dinners for a moderately gluttonous family of five, and with some luck you'll arrive to the 1.50 eur per dinner per person.

Tomorrow, I'm going on my biggest frugally ethical consumption trip yet, so watch this space

xoxo

0 comments: